Additional Fees

I had a rep named Matin Muhammed come to my home to give me an estimate for tax preperation. It was early January and I did not have any of my tax documents back yet.

Matin used my check stubs to do the estimate. He was not able to do a full estimate because I had not received my W2s or my 1099s for my investment information. He left telling me to email him when I received my documents. After he left I decided I did not want to use the company to file my taxes because Matin's estimate was the same as I got when I went to efile myself and I did not want to pay their fees.

I had no contractual agreements with this company nor did I ever give any permission to file taxes on my behalf. A few weeks later I received an email from Matin to provide them with an electronic signature to allow them to file my taxes. I never esigned I simply disregarded the email. I decided some weeks later I wanted to use the jackson hewlitt promotion to receive an upfront portion of my tax return.

The same night I filed with Jackson Hewlitt I received an email from Matin stating that they had try to file my taxes and they were rejected. This person did not receive any documents from me whatsoever to even kegally file. I never sent them a W2 or any 1099s.

Now I am also receiving alerts from lifelock that someone has been using my identity to apply for various loans. The company is extremely unresponsive and unapologetic

Review about: Nu Republic Tax Preparation.

Reason of review: everything about this scam company.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Comments

What state was this

May I ask what did you do next. I just fell victim to this scam as well.

to Michelle #1425358

I just contacted the AG this site their Facebook the BBB there wasn’t really a lot I could do my taxes went through successfully through the other tax place so apparently they tried to push them through but couldn’t cause Jackson Hewitt had already done so. Good luck & there’s obviously trolls working there replying to posts

Who has somebody come to their house to give an estimate on tax return preparation??? Why did you even meet with him if you didn't have the required documentation?

Since when do accountants base their estimates on a client's W-2??? Why would a tax preparation firm illegally submit a tax return on a client's behalf -- what's it in for them???

P.S. If you're so worried about identity theft, a good start would be not to post your e-mail address on this site.

to Anonymous #1425354

You obviously work for them since you took that much time out your busy day to write that novel. They’re not accountants or should I say YOURE not an accountant since you work there & obviously what’s in it for you all is to charge a fee for filing taxes & ask your boss why you all come to peoples houses & do estimates.

It seemed convenient to me. & lastly how is my email address going to get my identity stolen genius?????

to Anonymous #1432601

Yes everything the previous post accused them of is true.